Here is post about one more session in mobile developer summit today. The title of this post is the also the name of session – The other side of usability. In one word it’s all about optimizing the apps for speed.
Here is the key takeaway :
- Apps response time is crucial element to engage the users. Speed bottleneck can easily make the first time user to abandon the apps and finally uninstall.
- The wait loader can easily give bad impression about the apps. Hence avoid it wherever possible.
- Load the text content first and then load the images. You can download the images in bulk in a single HTTP request
- Do layout optimization. Avoid over drawing UI elements
- Identify the bottlenecks and fix them. Below are the few way to identify the bottleneck…
- Hallway usability testing
- Competitor Analysis
- Start using the apps yourself
- User comments an feedback
This sessions had a good showcase on how the apps can be improved. The speaker shows the different version of an example app, improving it on next higher version.